What I've learned from Meditating every single day for 1 whole year
Original post from my LinkedIn Blog
Back in late 2016, I experienced my first anxiety/panic attack. Heart racing, constant fear and worry. It came out of nowhere. It wasn’t due to stress, work or a big exam for school - it just happened. Everything in my life seemed to be going my way. I was doing well in my career, my whole family was healthy and I physically felt good.
Eager to find out what was causing my random anxiety attacks, I spoke to my doctor and to my surprise my doctor mentioned I was perfectly healthy and may be suffering from anxiety disorder. I was in disbelief because I didn’t have anything underlying that would cause such a thing. Looking for a solution to stop the random anxiety attacks, I came across Meditation.
My initial thought on meditation was that it was weird and time-consuming. But heck, I was willing to do anything to stop the anxiety attacks.
As I started meditating every morning before my start to work (only 2-5 minutes) I started to realize my anxiety attacks started to decrease day-by-day. My mood, the way I look at life, and determination had change as well. My ability to focus had also increased. It was the weirdest thing!
For the start of 2017 I decided to meditate every single day regardless of the circumstances. I fit it wherever I am, regardless if I’m at work or even traveling out of the country - I made it work! For the year 2017, I haven’t had a single anxiety attack and picked up some great habits along the way.
What I’ve learned:
- I was more Focused. After meditating for a long period of time, I noticed I was able to zone in a lot better at work.
- I developed more Gratitude. I started to be more giving and this ultimately brought me more happiness.
- I was Calm when times were Chaos to other people. This included with work (tight deadlines) or even when my favorite sport team was losing lol.
- No longer dealt with my inner Ego. Meditation helped not care about my outer appearance and trying to impress someone else.
The list goes on!
If you were like me I say give it a shot! You have nothing to lose by giving 2-5 minutes of your time each and everyday.
Helpful Tips when starting:
- Start with a short duration. Maybe 2-5 minutes
- Practice breathing exercises (link)
- Use helpful meditating apps like Headspace
- Find a meditation buddy (Thanks @Ryan Oblak)
Feel free to reach out to me on here or firstname.lastname@example.org. I would love to hear your journey!